Home Page Blogs Only

Who killed Sandra Bland

A black woman was arrested after a traffic stop in Texas. Days later, she died in a jail.

At about 7 a.m. Monday, Sandra Bland got her breakfast in the Waller County Jail in Texas. The 28-year-old woman was being held there after a routine traffic stop the previous Friday led to a charge of assault on a public servant.

About two hours later, Bland was dead. The official cause: Suicide by hanging.

Now, many of her friends and relatives, along with a growing group of social-justice activists, are questioning how authorities say Bland died — and the circumstances surrounding the arrest that put her behind bars three days earlier.

“The Waller County Jail is trying to rule her death a suicide and Sandy would not have taken her own life,” one friend told the ABC affiliate in Chicago. “Sandy was strong. Strong mentally and spiritually.”

At a news conference in Chicago, Bland’s sister told reporters on Thursday that she couldn’t believe Bland would take her own life.

“Based on the Sandy that I knew, that’s unfathomable to me,” Sharon Cooper said, according to the Chicago Tribune

The Waller County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that an unnamed female inmate wasn’t breathing when she was found in her cell Monday morning, at about 9 a.m.

“CPR was immediately started and Waller County EMS notified,” read the statement, sent to The Post on Thursday. “She was pronounced deceased a short time later.”

The sheriff’s office didn’t identify the deceased woman because, it said, investigators were still contacting relatives. But Thursday afternoon, Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis named Bland and said his office “joins her family in grieving this tragic loss of life.”

An autopsy classified the death as suicide by hanging, Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences spokeswoman Tricia Bentley told The Post, and the sheriff’s office statement said it appeared to be from “self-inflicted asphyxiation.”

“The family of Sandra Bland is confident that she was killed and did not commit suicide,” Bland’s family said in a statement sent to the Tribune by the law firm they hired. “The family has retained counsel to investigate Sandy’s death.”

At the press conference, another of Bland’s sisters said that the two had a telephone conversation after Bland was taken into custody. Shante Needham said Bland was “very aggravated,” and thought she had broken her arm, according to the AP.

The Texas Rangers, an investigative arm of the state’s Department of Public Safety, are investigating the death. Additionally, the Department of Public Safety said it has asked for the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s assistance.

“At this time, the joint investigation by the Texas Rangers and the FBI is ongoing,” the release stated.

Shauna Dunlap, a spokeswoman for the FBI’s office in Houston, told the Houston Chronicle in an email that the agency would be “monitoring the local investigation until it is complete.”

“Once the local process takes its course, the FBI reviews all of the evidence and if warranted could pursue a federal investigation,” she wrote.

Mathis, the district attorney, told the Tribune that Bland was “down from Illinois” to start a new job. ABC7 reported that she was expected to start work at Prairie View A&M University, her alma mater. An e-mail sent to the university was not immediately returned.

“She was a very, very accomplished young lady,” the Rev. James Miller, pastor at DuPage African Methodist Episcopal Church in Lisle, Ill., told the Tribune. “I just hope that the investigation is very comprehensive.”

Miller told the newspaper that Bland and her family had been members of the church for about 18 years. The Tribune reported that she was from Naperville,a suburb of Chicago.

“Any time somebody dies, it’s a tragic deal,” Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith told the Tribune. “That’s exactly what this appeared to be.”

After word of Bland’s death spread, hashtags including #JusticeForSandy and#WhatHappenedToSandraBland sprung up on social media, and an online petition calling for a Department of Justice investigation collected more than 15,000 signatures by early Thursday afternoon. On Thursday, Bland’s family said they didn’t want her death politicized, the Tribune reported.

In his Facebook statement, Mathis, the district attorney, said his office “is actively consulting with and monitoring the investigation being conducted by the Texas Rangers into Ms. Bland’s death. Once the investigation is complete the matter will be turned over to a Waller County grand jury for any further proceedings deemed appropriate by them.”

He added: “Please allow us to do our jobs, and rest assured that Ms. Bland’s death is receiving the scrutiny it deserves.”

Bland’s arrest and death come amidst a larger national conversation about the use of force in law enforcement and police tactics.


Previous post

Integer accumsan ut imperdiet vestibulum malesuada

Next post

Quick thinking teen helps rescue kidnapped woman



No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *